SDCC 2016 Funko exclusives : Wave 1

Let the madness begin!

It’s only been in the past two years that Funko upped their website game and actually started posting news on the company portal. Prior to that, Brian Mariotti usually posted the information to the Funko Funatics boards. A few hours ago, they posted the first of their annual SDCC teasers for this year’s Comic Con. The company has eschewed the square stickers of 2014 and 2015 in favor of a “tag” design which incorporates the SDCC “eye” logo.

Without further ado, here’s Wave 1:

They start things off with a 3-pack for the movie, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. We see another two POPs outside the POP Rocks line with musical instruments. The only other example that comes to mind is the Gene Belcher POP carrying a keyboard.

There have actually been a number of Powerpuff Girls customs done. Interesting to note that Funko chose to include mouths on Blossom, Bubbles and Buttercup. It’s also stated that these are “first-to-market” so presumably, there will be a general release somewhere down the line.

Funko has been really pushing the Dorbz line lately and is going to be putting out a Vanellope Dorbz Ride exclusive.

They’ve also got a Batman Dorbz 3-pack paying homage to the Tim Burton movies.

And finally, an interesting design decision for a Green Goblin variant. It’s got a glider, yes, but it’s also translucent and glittery. Is that a good look for Mr. Osborn?

Wave 2 announcements are scheduled on June 15, 2016.

13 thoughts on “SDCC 2016 Funko exclusives : Wave 1

• June 13, 2016 at 6:42 pm

The Scott Pilgrim Pops are FOR SURE on my “must have,” list

• June 13, 2016 at 6:44 pm

Oh and Green Goblin, of course 🙂

• June 13, 2016 at 7:11 pm

I’m can’t wait to see which exclusives are going to be sold at Barnes and nobles and Hot Topic. I picked up most of them last year at retailers.

• June 14, 2016 at 7:50 am

I really, REALLY hope that Green Goblin makes it to retail stores, but I have serious doubts. Looks like I’ll have to pay a scalper some outrageous amount…

• June 13, 2016 at 9:19 pm

I really want that Green Goblin! I’m going to cave & buy the Walgreens exclusive Goblins off of eBay. I just hate rewarding the flippers.

• June 14, 2016 at 6:53 am

Before you do, it may please you do know there will reportedly be another wave of shipments for the green goblin set according to Steve Anne, who’s in charge of toy ordering for Walgreen’s.

• June 13, 2016 at 11:38 pm

That Vanellope Dorbz Ride is adorable. I’ve been dying for her POP…but I can’t rationalize spending the outrageous prices of it bc it’s vaulted. I don’t collect the Dorbz, but I really want to add Vanellope to my collection! I love the Power Puffs. I hope the do a mass release. It was disappointing that the Steven Universe pre-releases turned out to be the ONLY releases, and those prices are crazy. So glad I picked them all up. I kinda wish I had gotten the Pre-Release Steven and Garnet, instead of waiting for the variants, as it seems the originals are selling for much more than the exclusives 🙁 I still think Nena did a fantastic job on them!

• June 14, 2016 at 8:26 am

The mass release date for the Power Puffs is 2017.

• June 14, 2016 at 12:17 am

I’ve been DYING to get my hands on some SDCC Star Wars Pops limited to 480 or 1008 pcs, if I don’t see any this year especially after TFA then i’m gonna be pissed!!.. last thing I wanna be seeing is Power Puff Girls, ggggrrrrr!

• June 14, 2016 at 4:50 am

Only one in interested in is green goblin hopefully wave 2 will be more interesting

• June 14, 2016 at 1:33 pm

I want the batman 3 pack and green goblin hopefully I can find someone to snag one for me if not then guess I’m SOL cause not going to pay insane scalper price

• June 14, 2016 at 3:06 pm

Super excited for the other waves. I’m hoping they reveal some iconic licenses in the upcoming days.

• June 22, 2016 at 11:18 am

If anyone has been to Comic Con how much do these exclusive Pops usually run, I’ve been but never looked to buy Pop toys.